Thursday, July 8, 2010

Biscotti


I love coffee. (Points to my mom who told me when I was grossed out by it at 12, that one day I too, would drink it.) I have a favorite memory of Rome, sitting at a little cafe, drinking a wonderfully made cappuccino and dunking an almond biscotti in between sips. This always reminds me of that gorgeous day, in the second home of my heart, Italy.


Almond Biscotti


  • 2 cups all purpose flour

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds, chopped and toasted

  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 egg white

  • Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. In a small separate bowl, combine vanilla, almond extract, 2 eggs, and egg white. Mix together and then combine with flour mixture. Turn the dough out onto a flour surface and knead gently 8 times. Shape the dough into a large roll. Place dough onto a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray, and then flatten the roll down to 1" thick. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove and let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.


Decrease oven heat to 325 degrees, and slice the cooling dough on a diagonal - with slices about 1/2" thick. Place the slices about an inch apart on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn the cookies over and bake for another 10 minutes. They'll look a bit soft in the center, but they will harden as they cool.


Let them cool and then enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment