In the cold weather, I'm always reminded of winters at my Grammy's house in Maryland and her delicious homemade soups. I'm sharing one today that is my recipe and not hers - but I promise to share more of hers soon. They are favorites of everyone inside my family - and anyone we actually will share them with!
Decadent Creamy Tomato Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 5 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 4.5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes (Muir Glen makes a fire roasted kind that adds delicious flavor but it's good with any!)
- 3 springs each of fresh thyme and fresh parsley
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large soup pot
- 1 blender
Add in the satchet of thyme, parsley, and the bay leaf and stir it into the soup. Lower the heat and let the soup simmer for at least 30 minutes, up to 1 hour to let all the flavors combine. Next, remove the herb satchet and transfer the soup (probably in batches unless you have the world's largest blender) and puree in a blender. When all the soup is pureed smooth, add it back into the pot and turn the stove back up to medium heat. Add in the cream, salt, and pepper and stir until thoroughly combined.
I realize this one's a lot of work but the bonus is - you can freeze it and have soup whenever you want, or put it in the fridge and nibble off it until it's gone. Delicious with a grilled cheese!